How To Clean Your Knitted Textile Shoes
The stretchy knitted upper has been a huge trend this past year and with their sporty style and unbeatable comfort, we can see why! Products such as the FitFlop Uberknit and the Skechers Go Walk have been flying off the shelves but one question customers keep asking is ‘How do I clean My Shoes’. The knit upper can be quite fragile so it’s important to clean them properly and taking extra care. To help answer this question read our full guide on ‘ How To Clean Your Knitted Textile Shoes’
To help prevent dye from running or shoes from being stained you can spray your shoes with a water and stain repellent spray. When purchasing this spray make sure it is suitable for fabric or canvas footwear. These kind of sprays are available for all materials and one designed for a leather shoe may damage the knit fabric. You don’t have to spend much, a little cost could save you a lot of money in the long run.
What You Will Need
You really don’t need anything special to clean knit shoes. A bowl of cold water and a cloth are the most important things but for more tough stains you could use a small, fine brush (like a toothbrush) and a mild soap. I have found that using a Microfibre cloth works best as it has better absorbency than other cloths.
What To Do
- Soak your cloth in the cold water, you can add a mild soap to the water if you feel it is necessary- Make sure you do not use warm water as you will risk ruining the shoes.
- Fully rinse out the cloth to ensure you don’t soak the shoes – this could cause any dye to run.
- Gently rub or dab the shoes with the cloth to remove any stains. Make sure you take your time, it’s better to get it right!
- Leave the shoes to air dry, you can stuff with newspaper if necessary.
What Not To Do
- As mentioned earlier, do not use warm water when washing the shoes.
- We would never recommend using a washing machine to clean these kinds of shoes, the material is too fragile.
- Don’t dry the shoes using a Tumble drier, again you could risk damaging the shoes.
- Do not use bleach or detergent when washing them.