Things I would Tell My High School Self
With school starting again for another year, it got us thinking in the Shoetique office about when school uniform and homework was a part of our everyday lives! If we could tell our high school selves something now, having been through the ups and downs and made it through the dramas that seemed never ending, what would it be?
1) Stop comparing yourself to others. People notice less than you might think as they are so wrapped up in their own lives so stop worrying!
2) Surround yourself with people that make you happy. Don’t get caught up with negative influences. Find people that genuinely make you smile and encourage you to be the best version of yourself.
3) Be kind, one day your mum with become your best friend. Yes being a teenager can bring a whole heap of emotions and mood swings, but your mum does a lot for you so appreciate her – one day you will understand why she did what she did.
4) Speak up. If you need help, ask for it! You’re only hurting yourself by not speaking up. If you need advice or help with anything, don’t be afraid to ask for it.
5) Who you sit with at lunch does not determine your social circle forever. It may seem like a big deal at the time, but try not to get caught up in the social scene. None of it matters after high school so form friendship groups with people who benefit you and focus on being a friend to others
6) The spot you have on prom night will not be the worst thing to happen to you. Yes it may seem like the worst luck in the world, but trust us, when you look at photos in twenty years you will wish you knew how beautiful you really were.
7) Pay attention in your languages class. Yes it may seem boring and hard work at the time, but being fluent in another language will come be extremely handy in later life.
8) High School is not necessarily the best years of your life! If you feel like high school is not living up to the best years of your life then do not worry, you’re not alone. Appreciate it for what it is; a learning process. Your best years are yet to come!
If you could tell your high school self anything, what would it be? Post it on our Facebook or Twitter page!